Tower fans offer many advantages for cooling the home. Tower fans are essentially long, narrow cylinders with multiple openings and closings and blades lining their interior (blades in “bladeless” tower fans are in the pedestal). The blades spin rapidly and force out large volumes of air up and down and through the openings.
Tower fans vary in selection. A six-inch model fits easily on a desk and nicely cools one individual, while a seventy-two inch one cools an entire room. Some actually eliminate odors and freshen rooms and some are also heaters. For those who prefer a quiet tower fan, some offer noise reduction. And, while they all have the same basic form, differences such as base shape, unit width, and material (plastic, aluminum, metal) impact their appearance and room placement ability.
Cost varies greatly and different features account mostly for the difference. Some may find the higher priced models more aesthetically appealing. Other selections such as energy efficiency, operational technologies, and warranties account for the difference, but some a cheap tower fan works just as well as their higher priced, brand name counterparts.
The following will review options for the best tower fans for the home.
Top 5 Best-Rated Tower Fan on the 2017 Market
Tower fan is an electrical device used to cool and move the surrounding air to a more relaxing and comfortable feel. Compared to an ordinary electric fan, a tower fan is sleeker and has a wide angle of oscillation (mostly 90-degree). Combined this with the fan’s height, you will have a wider area of cool air circulation.
1. Lasko 2551 42″ Wind Curve Platinum Cooling
The 42-inch Wind Curve Platinum is a top gun in the tower fan world. Its height is so slim and sleek; the fan easily blends with your home or office’s ornamentations. This fan is very powerful and elegant and oscillates within a wide area.
This fan produces gentle wind that breezes efficiently throughout the room via adjustable louvers which spreads out cool air or fixes the air stream in only one direction, whichever you prefer. It has also Air Ionizer that minimizes airborne dust or pollen which may be present in the surrounding air of a room.
• Equipped with multiple function remote control: This Wind Curve Platinum fan has multi-function control that activates the air ionizer, adjust the louvers, and activate the timer (from ½ to 7 ½ hours setting). These functions are brilliantly and electronically remote controlled so you don’t have to stand up while you lay down on your bed just to adjust the settings. Very convenient, indeed!
• With very useful timer: The timer is not only an energy-saver, it is also a safety feature that allows you to select the period of time you want the fan to run.
• Not to use as air conditioner alternative: Although this product cools the air by rapid circulation, it is not intended to cool the air like an air-conditioning unit. But the fan is also effective when used inside an air conditioned room.
2. Honeywell Fresh Breeze Tower Fan with Remote Control, HY-048BP, Black
This powerful tower fan from Honeywell is really amazing! This sleek and slim fan will surely make your room totally relaxing and very pleasant to the feel. The fan’s body contour is truly a space-saver aside from the fan’s energy-saving features.
This tall and quiet fan has a programmable thermostat to allow you to set your desired cooling effect by the speed of the blades. Its oscillation is also wider compared to other brands which delivers and distributes air in larger area. The brilliantly designed Turbo Wind generator impellers move air in vast amount compared to ordinary fan that is why it is more powerful.
• Clear electronic LCD display: While the controls are so convenient and easy to use, the important information is displayed digitally by a large LCD display that can be seen clearly even in the dark.
• 3-speed selection: Indulge in different wind and cooling speeds. The fan’s cooling effect has 3 comfortable speeds that will surely suit to your liking.
• Timer intervals: The fan could be set in 2, 4 and 8-hour intervals. Once you set the timer, it will automatically shut-off at your expected time period. Never worries to stand up just to turn off you’re fan when it is already cool enough during early morning.
3. Dyson Air Multiplier AM07 Tower Fan, White
The Dyson AM07 Tower Fan is straight out from the future! The fan has no exposed blades and grills unlike any other brand. The fan is basically made from durable plastic that is why it is lightweight but firm.
Designed and built with convenience and energy-saving in mind. This powerful tower fan uses air multiplier effect technology that draws and pushes air from its surrounding using bladeless mechanism. The tower oscillates or could be fixed in position much to your desire.
• Various settings: The fan has 10 different air velocity settings and has LED digital display that could be easily seen even you are far away from the unit. Its remote control is magnetic and could be mounted on the tower safely.
• Virtually safe from children: Since the fan has no blades, it is totally safe for children of any age.
• Quiet operation: Unlike grilled and bladed fans, the Dyson Air Multiplier Tower Fan is totally soundless and quiet in operation that does not disturb you and your kids during a good night sleep.
• With sleep timer: This product has a sleep timer with preset intervals (ranges from 15 minutes to 9 hours) so you don’t have to worry about being bothered to shut off the unit when the room is completely cooler during the early morning.
• Easy to clean: The absence of blades, grills and other moving parts lets you clean and maintain the fan easily without the hassle.
4. Holmes 36 Inch Oscillating Tower Fan with Remote Control
The Holmes 36” Oscillating Pedestal Tower Fan is uniquely designed to fit anywhere in your home or in the office. It has a small remote control, the size of your palm, to easily operate the fan with one hand. This quiet and energy-saver tower fan has blades and oscillates in a wide area allowing a perfect delivery of cool air.
The handsome grills guard the blades making it safer for children while the control panel is top mounted with clear LED lights for easy viewing even if you are far from the fan. If you have problems with big ordinary fan that distract the serenity of your home and a space invader, this one will certainly solve your problems.
• Multiple speed settings: The Holmes Oscillating Pedestal Tower Fan has 3-speed selection for low, medium and high speeds that you could choose from.
• Lightweight but firm: At only 8.8 lbs. the fan is so light but firm, you can move it easily from one place to another and it cannot be easily toppled when bumped into. Its circular stand is so strong and durable.
5. Ozeri 3x Tower Fan (44″) with Passive Noise Reduction Technology
The Ozeri 3X Tower Fan is so tall (44 inches) it is packed with more air that is ready for delivery with just a touch of a button. The fan has 3 sets of slanted blades that increase air velocity for cooler surroundings compared to other blade types.
This blade curvature also minimizes noise and excludes the gentle sounds of air from the unit. The fan has 3 fan-speeds that are controlled independently from each other which have 9 levels of air cooling and personalized airflow.
• Elegant design: The fan is also built in stylish design where its stand is made up of shiny reinforced glass. The fan can double as a beautiful ornament inside the house.
• Easy to clean: The fan is simply assembled with just a wing nut that enclosed the blades for easy disassembly and cleaning.
• Easy control: The provided remote control is long-range and allows for comfortable selection of settings even when you are far from the fan.
If you want cooler bedroom without the hassle of bulky, noisy and inefficient ordinary fan and costly electric bill, a tower fan is the answer. Tower fans are proven energy-efficient, quiet, elegant but powerful and deliver cooler air compared to ordinary electric fans. These fans are also versatile, easy to control and have longer life; your investment is truly cost-effective.
Why use a Tower Fan?
When sticky heat makes you uncomfortable, all you know is that you want relief. You may consider getting an air conditioner. But, a tower fan may be a better choice.
Tower fans are affordable.Some may say the higher priced models cost as much or more than an air conditioner, so why bother with a tower fan? Here’s why: Energy Costs.
An air conditioner takes in air, chemically cools it, and then pushes it back out. The process uses about 3.5 kilowatts per hour
A tower fan simply blows the air around to bring on a pleasant, comfortable sense of coolness. The process uses about 2.4 kWh in 24 hours.
• For the U.S., this equals about 1.2 cents an hour, 28 cents per day, and $8.64 per month.
• For Canada, this equals 1 cent per hour, 24 cents per day, and $7.20 per month.
Cost-wise, it’s pretty obvious.
Another possible option would be to combine air conditioning with a tower fan and raising the temperature of the air conditioner. Studies have shown that such uses less energy.
As well, some tower fans offer convenient sleep timers, remote controls, and speed options that allow even more comfort options.
Moreover, tower fans can be hidden away, even the more attractive ones, where no one can see them, in corners and in areas where there is limited space, and do their job quietly and efficiently, without anyone knowing they’re there.
Different Types of Tower Fans
Tower Fan With Remote Control
Yes, it’s always wonderful when you don’t have to get up and adjust a device. But, a tower fan with remote control isn’t just for those who lazily lay around. Of course it’s always nice not having to get up off the couch or bed and adjust the temperature of the fan or the oscillation when we’re watching a movie, reading a book, or taking a nap. But, the unit can also be adjusted from a treadmill, during workouts, or even while doing chores – prime causes of overheating.
If the tower fan is in a corner or tight space, the remote control also makes adjustment easier, as getting near it and/or pulling it out isn’t necessary. And, most every feature is found on the remote control – oscillation, direction, temperature, and timer – and, some even have a convenient flashlight.
Tower Fan with Timer
A tower fan with timer comes with a separate timer offer even more energy efficiency as they allow for periods of shutdowns during times of sleep. Most models offering this function can be shut off for up to 7.5 hours in 30 minute increments. And, timers also allow for automatic turn-on, so a room can already be cool and comfortable even before entering it.
Consider how many times has one left the house and forgotten to turn-off a device. We all know that sinking feeling we get when we wonder about it and struggle try to retrace our movements and suffer anxiously all day. While purchasing a tower fan does add another device to the worry list, a timer completely eliminates that concern.
Tower Fan with Ionizer
In layman’s terms, ionization is a process by which an atom or a molecule acquires either a negative charge, by amassing electrons, or a positive charge, by losing electrons.
The ionizers in a tower fan with Ionizer emit ions, or charged particles, that bond or capture pollutants and allergens, and through the process of ionization, allow them to be easily vacuumed or wiped away.
Fortunately, a full understanding of the science is not really important. That the technology exists, especially for allergy sufferers, is quite significant. The ionizers bond with pollen, pet dander, mold, dust, viruses, smoke, and odors, all of which are major triggers for those with severe allergies, asthma, and chemical sensitivities. As well, the ionization naturally freshens the air, providing a more sanitized home, and leaves it feeling clean and fresh.
How to Choose the Best Tower Fan
Before you even consider which tower fan to purchase, you should consider a few factors and ask yourself some questions.
• Where to place the tower fan: will it be on a table, counter, window, or on the floor? Will you be moving it around? If so, you want a one that is easy to carry as you do now want to drop and damage it. And, you may want a larger electrical cord. Also, size may matter when you are moving it around. While that tall seventy-two inch tower fan may fit perfectly in the corner of the living room, it may be too bulky to place in the corner of the dining room.
Placing a tower fan in the kitchen is an excellent idea, as cooking tends to generate a lot a heat and getting the air moving will cool it. When considering a unit for the kitchen, unless it’s large, placing it on the floor may not provide optimal air floor. So, the smaller, thinner models, which usually sit on counters and desktops, may be the best choice.
• How much power does the tower fan Need: will the tower fan be powerful enough to cool the room in which it’s being put? Airflow is measured in cubic feet per minute and different sized models have different cubic feet per minute ratings, which explain how far the fan can push air
If, however, you are sensitive to noise or prefer a quiet Tower Fan, check the decibel rating. Those with lower decibels tend to be quieter. At higher decibel levels, some fans may sound softer on a low setting, but could get extremely loud when turned higher.
• What features and extras to select: are allergies a concern? If so, then do you want the ionization feature? Or, perhaps you want it simply want a fresh, clean feeling room. Is appearance important? How about oscillation? A timer? Do you want multiple speed levels? Do you want a Tower Fan that also doubles as a heater?
Those with young children and pets may prefer the “bladeless” tower fans as they pose no risk. As well, the “bladeless” ones are easier to clean.
If you are putting the tower fan in your bedroom or den (where you enjoy television or music), you may want a quiet Tower Fan or one that offers noise reduction. Some users, however, like the “white noise” the fan makes while sleeping.
If you are placing the tower fan in a nursery, you may want a remote control so you do not have to walk into the room of a sweetly sleeping baby in order to make adjustments. You may also think you want a less noisy unit for baby, but, then again, some fussy babies like the “white noise.”
• Does the manufacturer offer a warranty and/or support: Does it respond to calls and/or emails? Does it offer live chats? The better manufacturers offer the best support and the best warranties, some even up to five years.
• How much do you want to pay: Probably the most important question, as such basically answers every question. A cheap tower fan, of course, offers less features, yet can still keep you cool for a reasonable price. But, then again, a cheap tower fan may come with a limited warranty or maybe no warranty at all and might possibly have a shorter life.
You also want to consider sturdiness, especially if you have young children. A cheap tower fan, not always, but sometimes may be easier to knock off balance and be subject to breaking more easily.
Ultimately, a tower fan is one of the best, easiest, and most affordable ways to stay cool.
The best tower fan is the one that offers the most features, the most convenience, and the best manufacturer support and warranty. Even though it may cost more, extreme savings are reflected in energy costs.
Of course a cheap tower fan could always be purchased. Many models perform well, even just as well as their higher priced, brand name equivalents. There are many from which to choose. The best way to find one would be to look over a cheap tower review.